Southport College is the leading provider of vocational courses in the area. When you study at the College you are studying for a qualification that gets you ready for work. Because the courses we offer are vocational you gain the skills employers want as well as the theory that underpins them. Our tutors work or have worked in the industry and use their experience to help you prepare for the world of employment in your chosen industry. Southport College University Centre offers a wide range of university level courses that allow you to develop the knowledge and high level skills to enhance your career, progress into employment and/or onto further study.
Higher education programmes at Southport College have been written in consultation with local, regional and national employers and other higher education providers. This ensures our students complete not only with the subject knowledge but also with skills that are desired and directly relevant to future employment or further study.
Excellent employer relationships
Our excellent relationships with employers throughout the region confirm our reputation as a leading supplier of vocational higher education, which delivers graduates capable of having a positive impact upon business operation and development.
Expert vocational tutors
Our professional and highly qualified tutors are committed to helping you realise your full potential. Using their strong vocational expertise our HE tutors are highly effective in motivating students and in linking theory and practical sessions. As experienced practitioners, the knowledge and expertise they have built up in industry allows them to focus on developing the skills they know are most valued by employers. This inside knowledge will put you at an advantage when it comes to applying for jobs or setting up a business in your chosen field.
The College continually invests in facilities for staff and students. Over the last 11 years £16.8 million has been invested in the estate including new library learning centres, re-designed art block, university centre, Tony Leigh building and a photo-voltaic roof to help offset our carbon footprint. Students benefit from up-to-date specialist resources in many vocational areas.
- Our facilities for our creative programmes are amongst the best in the North West. We have bright and airy studios with plenty of natural light and Apple iMacs so you can get to grips with industry standard software and equipment.
- The software used on the Games Design course was used to create the graphics in Oscar-winning films such as Pirates of the Caribbean and War for the Planet of the Apes
- Creative Media students have access to a fully-equipped TV studio and edit suite
- High-end digital SLR cameras and lenses can be loaned by Photography students as well as having access to computers with photo editing software
- Graphic Design students have access to a range of printing presses, Apple Macs, study spaces full of natural light and a gallery to exhibit and sell their work
- Computing students benefit from modern Windows PCs with simulated infrastructure and networking facilities
- Science students can make use of brand-new classrooms and science labs
- Our newly-refurbished Tony Leigh building contains a simulated hospital ward and nursery to be used by our Health & Social Care students
Careers education, information, advice and guidance
Southport College has an experienced and professional guidance team who are able to offer advice and guidance on careers and progression either in relation to employment or further study. Read more about our Student Information Centre here.
Ongoing careers advice
All our courses are vocationally focused and designed to equip you with an in-depth understanding of the necessary skills and abilities to provide you with competitive advantage in the workplace. Live briefs, case studies and client projects are an integral part of our programmes. You may also gain valuable work experience to enhance your CV and job applications.
Useful online resources
The Complete University Guide's career section contains useful information about planning your career. It also features a list of the UK’s top graduate employers along with details of how much you can expect to earn as a graduate in a range of different careers.
The Guardian offers an informative graduate careers advice page.