Maths and English for adults
If you’ve not already passed your maths and English our courses are FREE from Level 1 to GCSE. Fees are applicable if a C grade or above is already held.
Some of our courses attract fee remission which means if you eligible you’re exempt from paying course fees. The exemption applies to the course, exam fees and only includes those courses marked with a symbol in the adult course guide. Materials charges are still payable. You must bring proof of your entitlement when enrolling.
Aged 16, 17 or 18 Years Old Birth Certificate, Passport, Driving Licence or Travel Pass
Aged 19 - 23 enrolling on an Entry Level or Level One Qualification if not qualified at Level 2 Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment
Aged 19 - 23 enrolling on a First Full Level Two Qualification Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment
Aged 19 – 23 enrolling on a first full L3 Qualification Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment
Registered unemployed and in receipt of Income Based Job Seekers Allowance Bring Job Centre Plus Letter, displaying NI Number and Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment
Registered unemployed and in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (Work Related Activity Group only) Bring a current letter authorised by the Job Centre showing receipt of W.R.A.G. contributions and NI Number and Self-Certification document to be signed at enrolment.
In receipt of Carer’s Allowance (20% discount on course fees only – not fee exempt) Bring a current Letter from Department of Work and Pensions.
Registered unemployed and your partner is claiming Working Family Tax Credit Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment.
Registered unemployed and in receipt of Income Support Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment
Registered unemployed and in receipt of Housing/Council Tax Benefit Self-Certification document to be signed at the point of enrolment
All of our short introductory courses are available for just £10 each for all students.
Buy one and get one free on ESOL courses Pay for your first ESOL course and get your second one free.
Fund your studies
Advanced Learner Loans
There is a way to fund your studies with no up-front fees and nothing to repay until you’re earning £27,295 a year. Getting an Advanced Learner Loan doesn’t depend on your income and there are no credit checks.
Advanced Learner Loans can be used on Level 3 and Level 4 courses such as:
- Art & Design Foundation Studies
- Association of Accounting Technicians
- Electrical Installation
- Gas Installation
- Teaching Assistants
- And more…
Advanced Learner Loan Information
Student Loans for Higher Education courses
Course fees for our Higher Education can be paid through the student loan system, an arrangement with your employer or in full directly to Southport College.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checks
Courses that include an element of working with children or vulnerable adults require students to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. The DBS check is compulsory and you will be required to pay the fee which is currently £44.00 per person.
Kit and uniforms
Some courses require the purchasing of an appropriate kit and uniform. You will be advised of the ordering process and prices prior to the start of the course.
Course Fee Terms and Conditions
- All proof of entitlement must be current at the time of enrolment.
- All students over 18 pay their exam fees in full at the time of enrolment unless eligible for fee remission.
- You have the right to cancel your enrolment and receive a full refund of any fees paid if we receive written notice up to seven working days from the day after that of your enrolment. However, if after commencement of the course you wish to withdraw and receive a refund this may only be granted on production of a medical certificate.
- A refund of fees will be given if a class is closed by Southport College
- Students not wishing to sit an exam on an exam-assessed course will be charged a non-subsidised fee of £100 (in addition to course/material fees).
- You must enrol on a course prior to its commencement during an enrolment period. Southport College reserves the right to withdraw or amend courses, entry requirements, fees and details included in this publication.
- Courses are offered subject to viability of group size, minimum and maximum numbers, as defined by the College and acceptance onto a course is at the discretion of Southport College.
- Course closures are usually notified before, or at the time of the first class. Refund cheques will be forwarded as soon as possible upon the unfortunate closure of a course.
The Student Hub
Monday 8.15am – 5.00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 8.15am- 7.00pm
Friday 8.15am – 4.00pm
Monday to Thursday 8.30am – 5pm
Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm
If you need support at any point during your time with us you can speak to your tutor or the Student Information Centre team who can refer you to our personal support services.
Learning Support is available for students of all ages with identified needs. Identified students who disclose a support need are individually interviewed to assess their needs and the level/type of support or tutoring required.
Careers Advice & Guidance
As an adult learner you’ll have access to the careers and university resources in LLC1 and you can also access course and careers advice and guidance through our Student Information Centre. You tutor will also discuss careers options and applications with you.