When you enrol at Southport College, if you have identified a learning difficulty and/or a disability, the Learning Support Team will contact you to discuss how to support you appropriately. Where applicable, the Learning Support Team can also gather evidence in order to apply for extra time, readers, scribes etc for exams.
All identified students who disclose a support need are individually interviewed to assess their needs and the level/type of support or tutoring required. We also regularly review all students receiving support to ensure the correct and most appropriate support is being provided.
The Learning Support Manager is situated in the Learning Support Transition Suite which provides a timeout space and quiet working area for identified students. The room also hosts meetings for groups such as the Snack & Chat Social Communication Club and LGBTQ+.
The Learning Support Team can help you with:
- Learning support in and out of class
- Support for specific learning difficulties
- Care workers
- Emotional/behavioural support
- Communication support
- Snack & Chat Social Communication Group
- The transition to College from alternative education providers
- The transition to College following homeschooling